Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mustering the troops, Part II

I just have not been able to find my paint brushes, so I went ahead and spent some of the dosh that I made from selling part of my collection of GW miniatures. I ended up getting five of the GW paint brushes from the Crazy Squirrel. I have always preferred the GW brushes to any other hobby brush manufacturer. I have (still in a box somewhere!!) GW brushes that are about twenty years old and should I find them, they will be quite useful.

Sorry that the pic is a bit dark, my hobby lamp needs a new bulb (I dropped the lamp..sigh). But if you zoom in on it, you should be able to see well enough.

The above pic shows some primed models in the back, with the front models having a bit of GW Scorched Brown applied at about a 1:1 ratio (water:paint).

I have not painted historical miniatures in a long time, and my last painting project was a Warhammer Khorne army. I essentially started this WSS infantry in the same way as I did the Khorne warriors; except, in this case, I used Vallejo Flat Red (because I don't have very many of their paints, yet) in addition to my normal GW palette.
 Here is a slightly better pic, which shows the scorched brown.
I use scorched brown first, because it is a warmer base for red than is black. If I had had GW Vermin Brown, I may have used that instead, because it is still warmer...but a bit more orange for my taste. Everywhere that is going to be flesh colored, red, wood, or brass, I painted a single coat of scorched brown. 
From left to right, GW Red Gore, + Vallejo Flat Red, + GW Blood Red.
In the above pic, the far right figure also has a small highlight of GW Blood Red mixed 1:1 with Vallejo Lemon Yellow.  If this were a personality figure, I would have gone two more grades of highlighting.
 
Now, I know that many of you are wondering why I primed these figures in black. Well, they would be far too bright for me if I had primed them white...and I know that a lot of you would suggest I give them a wash or a dip to make them dingy. My answer is I get about the same effect by just priming them black. 


I decided to paint the cuffs and backs a dark green, which I will have to go purchase....sigh. The leather will all be buff, but I have Vallejo Buff for that. I just am not sure what I will use as a shadow and highlight for buff.

One thing I did notice about these figures is that there are actually two different poses for the single piece model. The coat is creased slightly differently and opposing feet are shifting. 

I really need to sell more of my GW collection as I need a better hobby lamp (one that sits on the table instead of clamps on), about a half dozen more paints, blue tack, and bases (!).  I can get a few of the paints tomorrow, but have to wait on the rest of the items on my list. 

Aside from that, I hope to have this unit almost completed by this time tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Well they look good so far, you said your units going to have green cuffs, which unit are you painting?
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the step by step base painting. I new to all this and am waiting to start painting, I'm saving up for a magnifier/light, and I'm doing 28mm which seems so big for many of you, and to me it is sooo small. So I'm surfing around to sights seeing how to go about all this. I'm doing a step by step of my learning, hopefully it will help someone out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ray

    Well, my Osprey source shows that Pearce's (5th regt.) had green facings, but as that unit served only in Spain, I am just going for one of the many regiments which served in Flanders, for which the facing colors are not known.

    As I intend to run or participate in an Imagi-nation campaign, I want to "dual purpose" my troops as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Garry

    Thank you for your comments. I began painting miniatures nearly thirty years ago, but have been out of practice since 2005. I figured the step-by-step recitation would help some folks either know what to do or what not to do, based on how they want their models to look.

    ReplyDelete