Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Still Here. A Short Update



As much as I want to get back to regular blogging, including posts about solo gaming, I've just been slammed with the realities of the new job, the new town, the move and issues related to moving across the country, etc.

I'm in a graduate program for an MA in military history, as I have mentioned in the past, but I am now also in another graduate course for Native American history and culture in education. The latter is essentially a course that will help me know how to be a better teacher on the reservation; how to relate to students who have a somewhat unique experience, at least one very different from every other minority group in the States.

In the meantime, I have been trying to put my rather limited "free money" towards boardgames that offer something for the solo player. I have recently picked up two, but I have been very disappointed in some sellers on BoardGameGeek who either ignored my order completely or cancelled it due to some lame excuse or another. I am trying to get Dungeon Alliance, as it appears to be an excellent game for solo players, and may be even be fun for 4 players. The publishers recently finished a 2nd printing Kickstarter, which I missed out on (due to the move) and are taking orders for more on their website, but I've not got the dosh for it at the moment. sigh.

I've also got some feelers out for other games, which I also need to save up for some pre-orders on further print runs. Sadly, I missed on on two excellent solo games, sold via Kickstarter, which now exceed $250 for a copy. Which is way out of my price range/budget. I am kicking myself over it, as I have very few 1-player games out of my nearly 200 board games.

I am hoping to have some fellow teachers over before Christmas time, and perhaps during that time off, to play some games, but I need to buy a table, some chairs, a couple of lamps, etc., which will take time.

I also need a work table for the basement, as I am planning on casting up some more figures using the Prince August molds that I have. I have many plans, but limited budget and time. Alas...

This coming monday is a holiday, Native American Day (Columbus Day most anywhere else in the USA), and I intend to play one of my new acquisitions and take photos. Eventually, my plan (another bloody plan) is to have a video camera and do some video play-throughs and game reviews.

Well, that is all for now. I keep peeking at other blogs and am a regular lurker on TMP and BGG, so I have my head in the game, if not my wallet.

ciao!

3 comments:

  1. Try Rommel for a solo boardgame, it’s really rather good. I believe there are other solo games in the range as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to Field Commander:Rommel? I check BGG and it seems promising. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. Yes sorry the above is correct.

      Delete