Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Bloodbowl

 


 

 I have ALWAYS been a fan of Games Workshop's Bloodbowl. I've been playing, off and on, since the first edition of the game was released...way too long ago for my comfort.

I am currently playing in an online league, using the Bloodbowl 2 computer game...


And while I am undefeated in that league, I have gotten draws several times, which has put me in a paltry 3rd place out of 10 teams. With two more games to go, I may be lucky to rise to 2nd place, but unless the top team loses twice, once to me, the likely result will be 2nd or 3rd.

I've just not had much luck, in that my digital die rolling has gone as well as my real dice rolling, which is to say...poorly. I nearly always fail the "go for it" rolls, ending up in a player down and the ball coming loose, resulting in a turnover. I happened last game, just as it happened almost every other game, when I made the attempt. This last time, there was a score for me on the line.

Alas...

However, there are some changes a'brewing for Bloodbowl in that a new edition of the tabletop game is coming soon, as well as a rumored Bloodbowl 3. Yes, I will be purchasing both. The new miniatures look awesome, btw.





And...and this is a big "and"...I do plan on using Bloodbowl miniatures, only the human teams, in my imagi-nations world, as a sort of medieval-ish public sport. I am planning on having six teams represented, and so I already purchased a couple of boxes of the current miniatures, with the plan on doing the same for the new minis, so that I will have some variation in the visuals of the teams.

For the record... Although my die rolling in Bloodbowl has always been bad, I do have one positive record, and that is: My human team, named the Pitzburk Stealers, has never lost a tabletop match out of at least 35 games. If I remember correctly, My W/L/D is 32/0/3, but I did stop counting after about 33 games, and I may have played more than twice since that time. Please forgive my memory, as my team was most active in 2001-2004 when I was managing GW stores or working for a game distributor.

I've come very close to losing, more than once, but the biggest potential upset was against a Skaven team, with the final score of 4-3. I did get lucky with a couple of the kickoff rolls, which put me in a very good position to score in 2 turns, and one of my goals with due to the Skaven failing to pick up the ball on a kickoff and I had a speedy Catcher who grabbed it and ran into the endzone. 

Of course, this was back with 2nd edition rules, using the Death Zone rules, the version with the cards, and I prodigiously used and enforced the "illegal procedure" rule that you MUST first adjust the turn marker at the beginning of your turn. A failure to do so, when called out by the opponent, results in a turnover. And I was merciless with that rule.

Anyhoo... I am very much looking forward to the changes in the new version and I hope that I may, one day, play the tabletop version once again.








 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you blogging again Justin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I am here and I lurk, from time time, but not Angrily. I am trying to get back into the swing of things, as many of my miniatures are still in moving boxes (after 2+ years).

      Delete