Monday, May 26, 2014

Leibster Blog Award


The right honorable Legatus Hedlius has nominated this blog for the Liebster Award! Nominating is the same as granting, in this case, as there is no committee that meets to present the award. However, the recognition of one's peers in the bloggerverse does bring a sense of acceptance and accomplishment, especially as my posts rarely receive comments, apart from the dedicated few who try to comment everywhere they visit (they do inspire me to try to match them!).

The conditions of the award are that a nominee must also nominate 11 other blogs, of under 200 followers, and link back to the nominating blog. Clicking on the image above will take you Legatus' main blog, and if you have never been, you're missing out. I rarely fail to read a new post of his on the day of his posting.

My own nominations were difficult, as many already have over 200 followers and thus cannot be nominated, whilst others were nominated before I could do so. Note: I meant to post this up a couple of days ago, but real life and a LOT of yard work in preparation for trash pick up day meant I was far too exhausted or unavailable.

I hereby present my 11 nominees, in no particular order. (If I didn't nominate you, my apologies, I tried to get to those who haven't already been nominated and whom have posted within the last month).

1) A Figure Painting Therapy Project - I only wish I could paint as well as this fellow...or that I could afford to buy the armies he occasionally sells.

2) BigRedBatCave - I don't know how he is able to paint so many figures in so little time.

3) Trailape's Wargame - Longstreet campaign! But wait, there's more! His wargaming tastes appear to be similar to my own and thus enjoy reading his blog.

4) Scotty's Wargaming - Another fine blog, with lots of Napoleonic units and action. And I want his terrain.

5) BlackHawkHet - With an interesting Vietnam campaign, played solo, as his latest series of posts, I am more inspired to do solo gaming.

8) Sean's Wargame Corner - Yet another blogger who has similar gaming tastes to my own. His RRtK armies and games are awesome.

9) Another Slight Diversion - Imagi-nation. Yes, more please!

Gah! Can you believe it, several blogs I nominated were already nominated, weeks ago. Sigh... Forgive me, but I am left with 9 after deleting over 5 and searching for more that qualify. Needless to say, I really like all the blogs I follow.

My answers to this particular award's list of questions are:

Why did you start blogging?

I have been a wargamer for 35 years and have always enjoyed what others do in the hobby, as well as share my own passion for it. Starting a blog made sense, but it has had to be it fits and starts, mainly due to computer hardware issues. One thing I noticed is that I pay far too much attention to not having comments left on my posts, so I don't know if people like what I write or if they just visit quick and leave just as quickly. I should care less and just keep posting what I want to post...letting things fall as they may.

 If you could change one thing about the wargaming hobby, what would it be?

Make all the gaming conventions relocate to within 2 hours of my home. There's so much fun that I get to read about others' experiences, but as I am stuck on the West Coast, there's little offered that I would enjoy attending. Living in Northern Virginia and Maryland, for a few years, spoiled me.

 What is best in life?

Playing games with my five sons. We just played a game today, in fact, although we had to finish it early due to a family gathering. We don't often get to play, but on those days that we do, it is great.

Fame or fortune?

Neither, to be honest. I am a poor man, of very little renown, but what seek is quiet and to be left alone by seekers of quick riches and the narcissists who expect me to worship them for who they happen to be. If I didn't have to live paycheck to paycheck, then I would be okay with that.

What miniatures are you most proud of having painted?

The early metal Games Workshop terminators painted up as Deathwing. I was paid $10 each to paint a squad of five, and that really lit the painting bug for me.

How do you deal with burn out?

By not burning out. Wargaming and painting miniatures are a stress relief for me and if I tire of painting something, I then go to reading rules or writing rules. I use my imagination, a lot.


Why is a raven like a writing desk? 

What does it matter? I have little patience for nonsensical questions, tbh.

Star Wars or Star Trek?

A very good and difficult question for me to answer. When Star Wars came out in the theatres, I saw it nine times, each time being a great adventure. I remember the Star Trek television show (in reruns), but when Star Trek The Motion Picture came out, I saw it and was severely and sadly disappointed.

Of the two, Star Wars has a slight edge in that I would love to be a Jedi Knight. I mean, using the Force to help make things better, as a teacher, guide, counselor. Star Trek is very...um...idealized. I do admire Gene Roddenberry for coming up with the universe of Star Trek, but I find many ideas and ideals within his world that are contrary to my own world view and thus strike a nerve. On the other hand, being a Vulcan is a very narrow second to being a Jedi, so...

If you could only buy from one miniature company from now on, which one would it be? 

Pendraken. If I had to choose only one, Pendraken covers everything I play or want to play, apart from air combat, at a price per model that I can afford. I would love to have large armies in 28mm, but I just cannot afford them.

What is your favourite takeaway?

I am not a huge fan of take out (what we yanks call it) as I prefer to sit in the restaurant and enjoy the experience of eating there. However, one place I go has ZERO space to eat inside and so, I choose their 8" cheese steak sarnie, with extra cheese.





22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the award. I know what you mean about being pipped at the post with nominations. It's frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. One day, Ray, I will match your current number of followers. That day may be the one after my funeral, but still...

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I must make an effort to comment more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make that same resolution all the time. I really must show my support...and remember to do so.

      Delete
  4. A thoroughly deserved nomination Justin. I think the conditions for who can be nominated might need to be updated to allow you to nominate blogs in different categories, eg up to 200 followers; 201-500 followers; 501+ followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamsin. Yes, I looked around a bit and saw there were actually a varied number of conditions for nominations, few which agreed on anything. Alas.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the award Justin and thanks for the nomination

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Justin. Great to hear you game with your boys. That stuff really is what makes like worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, my sons are all avid gamers, with their own likes and biases towards what we play, but they are usually up to trying a new game.

      Delete
  7. Hopefully, I will post more that will keep folks wanting to come back and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Justin, and thanks for the nomination. It's going to be tough to find blogs that meet the criteria and haven't already been nominated but I'll do my best. The whole comment thing is hard to predict, you never know what is going to strike a chord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean, you've got stuff that people should read on your blog, so the nomination was easy, after checking that you qualified. :) I would have nominated others, who ended up nominated, but the particular criteria sent to me had the limitations of 200 followers. Apparently, you can go as high as 500. So, maybe that will open things up for you.

      Delete
  9. Many congrats for the award. It's well deserved!

    Carry on
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stefan. I contacted TFL for your prize. I hope to hear back within 24 hours.

      Delete
  10. Good answers! I agree about takeaways (as we call them). I would always prefer to go to a restaurant.

    The raven and the writing desk question is a quote from Alice and Wonderland (the Mad Hatter's Tea Party scene)








































    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legatus, thank you for your comments. I am a literalist when it comes to processing information, so although I got the reference, it is a question my brain rejects out of hand.

      Delete