Friday, March 16, 2018

Portability of Wargaming

I am a huge fan of the Portable Wargame concept, some rules for which can be purchased from Bob Cordrey, via Lulu and Amazon. His blog is a good source of information for what he and others are doing to further the concept and fully develop it into something more. I happen to read his blog almost daily, and I frequently trail back to view his older posts.

There are numerous takes on this type of game, which did not originate with Bob, as I understand it, but he is perhaps the most vocal advocate, currently.

A few other notable chaps are pushing the concept into new and interesting directions, using technology to advance the standard, so to speak.
A discussion about this photo here.

I would not be surprised to see someone doing "official" resin or laser cut plywood tiles and terrain, to support those of us who see the utility of this type of game. Yes, it is rather stylistic and lacks the glamour and glitz of other game systems, but its simplicity is an attraction all to itself. Also, it is, well, portable.

Link to the above site here

Of course, the Perry's have already developed a similar game, which is also very portable, by design.



I own two copies of this game, but I really, really, want to buy at least two more. However, between a planned move and other projects, the expense cannot be budgeted for this year.

The flexibility of the game means that one could play any genre, be it science fiction, fantasy, historical, or whatever lies between. Also, the game itself could be of any size or scale, from 3mm to 54mm figures and the size of the board/table could be a chessboard (or even smaller) to a very large multi-table board. Your only limit is your imagination...and space...and budget. But, these are minor when compared to the benefits of having a game ready to hand wherever you live and wherever you go.


There's a lot of action or potential action in the above photo. Is the terrain super-realistic? Why does that matter? Do it really matter at all?

Heck, as the image below shows us, we don't even need miniature figures at all.

One of my current not-quite-backburner projects is to create a 10x10 square board, and assemble two WWII-ish armies. I am looking at Russian and German miniatures, but painted as Mordian and Cadian troops from Warhammer 40k. I've just ordered a small selection of Pendraken 10mm figures, including an AT gun, a tank, and some infantry, to get a sense of the size of square I will need for my board. Now, I can use my Kallistra hexes, but they are not as readily portable and I dare not risk them as baggage on a flight across the country.

Another bonus, I figure solo rules for this type of game will work just fine.



4 comments:

  1. Don't see why they wouldn't work playing solo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that any version of the portable wargame will work solo, the only problem being whether the "opponent" is "played" by the player or is "played" by a die roll and a table, or a flow chart is used to determine actions and outcomes. Two Hour Wargames utilizes the second method and, I think, does it quite well. However, I am more tending towards the flow chart, with options (that could be selected via die roll).

      Another option would be to adapt the card mechanic from Commands and Colors.

      Delete
  2. Those are all great examples of tables. I found a cork bulletin board with wood frame for $10.00 painted one side green and put 2-1/2" squares on it. It's 8 squares x 13. So far I've used my DBA armies on it. The other side is painted grey without a grid for swashbuckling skirmish games. A quick and easy set up either side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough, I was surfing through the local Michael's last night and thought of doing tbat very thing, but they did not have the larger framed cork board. I almost bought cork tiles to make hills with. Thank you for posting, I am going to work with that I dea, based on what you shared.

    ReplyDelete