Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Never Say Never! or Yeah, it Happens!

 

Life can be a real PITA, sometimes. At other times, it is perfectly swell.


So, this past year and something has been, well, busy. Often busy in a good way, but frequently in a not good way. By the way, I greatly dislike the Blogger changes.


I'm still working on my Imaginations. I had an artist do up some flags that fit with my narrative. I began writing some short fiction to support what I am attempting to accomplish. But on an even greater note, I have decided that all of my historical miniatures will be directly tied to the Imaginations world, instead of the real-world counterparts.  For example, my WWII German infantry will now be organized and painted up to go with one of my fictional countries. 

The GW fantasy figures will very likely go the same route, with the different armies fitting in to a "pre-history" setting. The GW sci-fi and other sci-fi that I have will probably be the only miniatures that stand outside my fictional creations.

To go along with this, I have bough and then re-read a number of historical rule sets over since my last blogpost, and have had a difficult time coming up with a set of rules that "fit" what I want to do and the reality that I live, being a solo gamer anymore. 

I've decided to go with Black Powder, and Hail Caesar for the rules, with house rules as needed. As much as I like other rule systems, the overall edge went to Warlord's offerings, basically because of the elasticity of their rules. This will apply to 6mm as well as 28mm figures, but more on that later.

At the same time, I have been tinkering with a campaign bot, that will help control the NPC nations' actions, politically and militarily. 

To help provide me a worthy opponent who is not biased, I am going to modify Two Hour Wargames' solo rules to fit with Black Powder.

I have also purchased an amount of terrain and assorted materials to allow me to make custom boards, but I am having to wait until this Corona virus fiasco has passed as one of my sons has been living with me throughout, taking up my dedicated hobby room.

Additionally, I am seriously considering buying a domain name and hosting my blog elsewhere, partly because of limitations here, but also because I'd like to try to make a little money on the side, if possible, to help cover some rather unexpected costs on my end.

One thing to note is that I am losing my sight in my left eye, which makes for a difficult time in painting, assembling, or sometimes even typing. Hopefully, it is a temporary condition, but being diabetic, it may well prove to have some permanence.

An update: I graduated from my M.A. in Military History program, a year ago, so that is done and checked off.

I will strive to be more active here...again.





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I am going to try to get myself back in the habit of posting at least once a week.

      Delete