Monday, March 1, 2021

Campaign Bot, Scout Reaction Table...A Campaign Design Process Update

 

Just a quick update. I decided to split the Scout reaction and Concentration reaction into two tables, instead of a single, combined, one; doing so made much more sense.

The Scout Reaction table, above, is when the scouting force is adjacent to an Enemy Concentration at the end of the player's move. What does the Player want the Scout to do? The choices are to Delay, to try to prevent the Enemy Concentration from moving; to Harry, to try to cause enough trouble amidst the enemy camp that they withdraw slightly, to better ground or to shore up their line of supply against marauding scouts; to Evade, to avoid extended combat and break contact with the Enemy Concentration.

I realize the better results on this table are with the higher numbers, contrary to the rest of my tables. I'll probably switch it, but for the life of me, I know I had a reason when I first went over this. I just cannot remember what that reason is.

The loss of SP is self-explanatory, but a Success result indicates that the Scout has achieved whatever mission the Player set for it. However, even with a success, the Scout will suffer some adverse effect, either a slight loss or to become Exhausted

Note, an exhausted scout quickly becomes a casualty.

The modifiers should also be self-explanatory and I have left room to add a few that I may decide (or be convinced) should be included.

I need to shoehorn the Field Force Reaction Table onto the sheet, somehow fitting it into a single printed page, but without adding confusion as to when it happens in the sequence of the activities and actions of a turn.


Ah, which reminds me.



This is the sequence of actions and activities that occur during a campaign season turn.

Place Reports - The Sighting Reports (I'd forgotten to change the name when I took this snippet) are placed into all legally eligible locations.

Check Depots - The check to see if a Bot depot moves to a new location within the Player nation.

Check Siege - To see if a city or fortress is considered as under siege, due to the mass of Sightings at that location.

Clear Reports - Scouts attempt to clear Sightings.

Move Scouts - The Scouts may move into locations that are not occupied by an Enemy Concentration or Sighting.

Move Field Force - Field Forces may move into locations that are not occupied by an Enemy Concentration. Uncleared Sightings "bounce" to an adjacent location chosen at random.

Resolve Reports (Sightings) - Field Forces attempt to resolve adjacent Sightings into Enemy Concentrations.

Scout Reaction - Player tasks all Scouts which are adjacent to an Enemy Concentration to either Delay, Evade, or Harry and then rolls the dice to determine the outcome.

Field Force Reaction, the player elects to either Attack, Hold, or Evade the Enemy Concentration, which will then react according to the table. 

Concentration Reaction - the reaction is that of the Bot towards the Field Force, depending upon the latter's own action or inaction.

Combats - Any battles resulting from a collision between Field Forces and Enemy Concentrations now occur.

Exploitations - Post-battle activity including retreats, routs, and pursuits. 


I hope to have the Concentration Reaction table posted tomorrow, but as we are now back on the school site, my days are a bit more exhausting. In fact, I can barely stay awake to make this post.

Well, again, I am fairly content with the bot as it currently exists, but playing around with it, and testing its functioning, will be a better determiner of its utility and whether or not it suits my needs.



No comments:

Post a Comment