Monday, February 1, 2021

Army Construction Part 4.5...A Campaign Design Process Update


 For some reason, the Blogger image tools made this so small it was un-readable, unless at original size, which is far too large for comfort. Yet, I felt being unreadable was not worth the post, so I'll manage with the discomfort.

I was unable to devote as much of my time to this as I had hoped, today, as it's the end of the quarter at work, which means grades, and parent contacts, and so forth. This means less time focusing on fun things when I am awake.

The above is the WIP army generator for Nurglundia. I've still to do the actual die roll numbers for each of the unit types, but the layout is mostly done. I plan on having several of the Eras as "checkpoints," or a snapshot of what forces a nation can field during certain points in their history. 

Yes, it is unrealistic for coherent cultural entities to continually exist for three thousand years (China!), let alone nationalities. However, I am mainly concerned with the forces capable of being fielded from the general region where the later nations will exist. There will be some continuity with the name, in some form or another, but that is a line in the spreadsheet that I have yet to create.

I do want to show the unit characteristics, but not the traits. I've still plans to list the available special rules by Era, first, as a number of them simply do not make sense outside the era or eras where they'll be brought to bear.

Also, I do need to define the unit classes.

Admittedly, I borrowed heavily from Warhammer's original armor save calculations, with a minor change. In the 3nd Edition, maybe even 2nd (I'll have to find my book for that, somewhere in a box), armor was a linear calculation. Infantry started with no armor save, but added a pip for a shield or light armor, a second pip when shield and light armor were worn together. Heavy armor was an additional pip, to which a shield could be added. Magical or superior armor was yet another pip. So, infantry could normally have the best armor save at a 4+ (without magical). 

For cavalry armor saves, it followed that for infantry, except being mounted gave a one pip armor save on its own. So, light cavalry sans shield and armor had a 6+ save, where knights in full plate with shield had a 3+, again without magical or superior armor.

For my campaign, I've just given everyone a single pip armor save through Grit & Gear, plus another for being mounted, plus more pips for each additional layer of protection. 

Special rules will be utilized to account for extremely well-protected troops or those with excessive determination. 

Still, it will be playtesting that shows me whether I need to add more to Grit & Gear scores, at least in the earlier eras.

I've about a dozen initial factions to create these lists for, four main contenders and the remainder being relatively minor players, so more than others.

The purpose for these lists is to allow me to take an engagement from any era, that is not directly a part of the storyline, and generate an army for each side. As the story develops, flashbacks to the past will become more interesting with the battle reports and skirmishes.

When I get through this week of extra work for work, I'll have more time for applying my mental energy to filling these out. Right now, is is mostly work and sleep.

Oh! I should mention that the points for each unit is to help determine how large an army a national entity can support, when it comes to yearly campaigns or eventual permanent armies. New units can only be raise if the support structure is there to equip and supply them. This is all part and parcel to the strategic layer that these lists will belong to.


No comments:

Post a Comment